17th SAARC Summit: President Rajapaksa meets regional leaders in Maldives
Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma
(Pix by Sudath Silva)
President Mahinda Rajapaksa concluded bilateral talks with his regional leaders this morning on the sidelines of the two day SAARC Summit which is been held in Maldives from 10 November.
President Rajapaksa met Indian Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh at Hotel Shangri La in the Addu Atoll to discuss a host of bilateral issues and strengthening regional cooperation. Both leaders took the opportunity to raise issues related to the escalation of fishermen’s issues, poaching piracy and maritime terrorism in the Indian Ocean. They also discussed Sri Lanka’s political process for ethnic reconciliation and resettlement of displaced.
President Rajapaksa also held bilateral meetings with Dr. Baburam Bhattarai, Prime Minister of Nepal, Mr. Mohammed Hamid Karzai, President of Afghanistan, Mr. Yousaf Raza Gillani, Prime Minister of Pakistan and Mr. Jigme Yoser Thinley, Prime Minister of Bhutan at the hotel.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023
- Trains delayed on coastal line due to derailment near Kollupitiya September 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s revenue shortfall concerns IMF team – sources September 27, 2023
- Airman killed, another injured in explosion at Kandakuliya Air Force Training Camp September 26, 2023