200 kg of heroin seized, nine arrested in joint operation in Weligama
More than 200 kg of heroin has been seized and nine suspects have been arrested by Police in a special operation in Mirissa in Weligama this morning.
Raid conducted with the assistance of the Sri Lanka Navy, Police Narcotics Bureau and the Coast Guard, authorities seized the stock to be concealed within a vessel.
The raid had been carried out based on a tip-off received by the State Intelligence Service (SIS).
The contraband of narcotics was seized when it was brought in a small boat. The heroin was found concealed in gas tanks and gunny bags.
Police said a fishing trawler that left for fishing on May 11 reportedly shifted the consignment of heroin into the small boat.
Police said investigations are underway to arrest the suspects who were in the fishing trawler.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023
- IMF chief Kristalina and Sri Lanka President Ranil discuss ongoing reforms and debt restructuring efforts September 21, 2023
- Two killed, two injured in shooting at Avissawella September 21, 2023