24 Indian fishermen arrested in Sri Lanka waters
Posted in Local News
Twenty-four Indian fishermen were arrested by the Sri Lankan Naval personnel on Sunday for allegedly crossing the International Maritime Boundary Line and fishing in Sri Lankan waters.
“Fifteen fishermen, who were fishing between Katchathivu and Talaimannar, were arrested and taken to Talaimannar,” Assistant Director of Fisheries in Rameshwaram, Kulanjinathan said.
Nine others fishing near Neduntheevu were arrested and taken to Kangasanthurai, he said.
The four boats of the fishermen, hailing from this town and Jagadapagttinam village, were seized, he added.
- Sri Lanka relaxes import restrictions on over 300 items June 10, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to go ahead with privatising SLT despite ‘NO’ from S.O.C. on National Security June 10, 2023
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023