46 Indian fishermen arrested by Navy
46 Indian fishermen were allegedly arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy for illegally poaching in the country’s waters, Navy Spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya told Ada Derana. The Sri Lankan Navy also seized 11 boats of the fishermen.
Last week, as many as 51 Indian fishermen were released by the Sri Lankan government.
They were arrested by Sri Lanka’s Navy for allegedly poaching in the country’s waters.
Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa had ordered the release of the fishermen as a goodwill gesture ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s swearing-in ceremony which was attended by him in New Delhi on May 26.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023