46 Indian fishermen arrested by Navy
Posted in Local News
46 Indian fishermen were allegedly arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy for illegally poaching in the country’s waters, Navy Spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya told Ada Derana. The Sri Lankan Navy also seized 11 boats of the fishermen.
Last week, as many as 51 Indian fishermen were released by the Sri Lankan government.
They were arrested by Sri Lanka’s Navy for allegedly poaching in the country’s waters.
Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa had ordered the release of the fishermen as a goodwill gesture ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s swearing-in ceremony which was attended by him in New Delhi on May 26.
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023
No worries our President will instruct these 46 Indian fishermen to be released.