53,407 affected by floods, risk of landslides if rain cont.
53,407 persons belonging to 13,520 families are facing distress due to heavy rain and flooding affecting several Districts in the island. It has been reported that two people have died while another five have been seriously injured due to the severe weather conditions in the past few days.
While a total of 61 houses have been completely destroyed some 25 houses have been partially damaged, the Disaster Management Center reports.
According to the Disaster Management Center floods have mostly affected the Monaragala, Mannar, Gampaha, Puththalama, Vavuniya and Jaffna Districts.
Meanwhile the National Building Research Organization (NBRO) says that there is a high risk of landslides in several areas if rain continues in the coming days. People living in regions of high elevation are advised to remain cautious, R.M.S. Bandara head of the NBRO Landslide Division said.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023