Airport duty-free shop worker arrested with gold biscuits worth Rs. 157 Million
Posted in Local News
An employee of an airport duty-free shop has been arrested while trying to smuggle 60 gold biscuits worth Rs. 157 million out of the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) in Katunayake.
The suspect was a 35-year-old man from the Ja-Ela area. The gold biscuits weighed 6.995 kg.
He prepared these gold biscuits in six parcels of ten each and strapped them to his waist. The suspect was arrested by a group of Katunayake airport security officers at 7:00 PM last night.
The officials confirmed that the seized gold biscuits, weighing 116.62 grams each, were made of 24-carat gold.
Sri Lanka Customs is probing the incident further.
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
Well, well, What ever this guy should be a national hero because our politicians and businessmen/women take money and our assets out of SL. Instead, this guy bringing ‘Gold into Sri Lanka!!!
You have to be careful until we find where the gold biscuits were heading and where it came from. It is possible the lot may for the continuing the ‘holy ARAGALAYA’ until the intended leaders come to power!