Ajith Mannapperuma suspended from Parliament for four weeks
Samagi Jana Balavegaya (SJB) parliamentarian Ajith Mannapperuma was suspended from Parliament for four weeks as per Standing Order 77(3) for grabbing the mace in Parliament.
Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena, who announced the suspension, also directed other MPs to maintain the decorum in the House.
Earlier, the Speaker had adjourned the parliamentary proceedings for 10 minutes following heated arguments in the chamber during the ongoing debate.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023