All steps taken to hold Local Government Election – Election Commission tells Supreme Court
The Election Commission today (January 13) informed the Supreme Court that it has taken all steps to hold the Local Government Election as planned in accordance with the law.
The Election Commission informed the Supreme Court about this matter when a writ petition filed by a Retired Sri Lanka Army Colonel W. M. R. Wijesundara in respect of the Local Government Election was taken up before the Supreme Court three-judge-bench headed by Chief Justice Jayantha Jayasuriya today (January 13).
This petition was fixed for support on January 18.
In his petition, Colonel Wijesundera had sought an order quashing the decision of the Election Commission to hold the Local Government elections to be held before March 10 as reported by media.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023