English letters denoting provinces to be removed from number plates
The Cabinet of Ministers has granted the approval to remove the english letters denoting provinces on vehicle number plates.
The proposal was presented to the Cabinet by the Minister of Transport Gamini Lokuge.
The Transport Minister through the proposal has indicated that since a unique number is issued to each registered vehicle at its registration, the identity of all vehicles can be easily recognized across the departmental data base.
Under the new system, number plates need not be changed every time a vehicle is transferred between provinces.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023