Amarasiri Kalansuriya passes away
Veteran Sri Lankan actor Amarasiri Kalansuriya has passed away at the age of 82.
Amarasiri Kalansuriya was born on September 20, 1940, Kalansuriya fondly known as ‘Kalan’ was an acclaimed actor in Sri Lankan cinema, theatre and television.
Amarasiri Kalansuriya made his first film appearance in 1969, in the movie ‘Hanthane Kathawa’ with the late actor Vijaya Kumaratunga.
During his acting career spanning over 50 years, Kalansuriya has appeared in a number of notable popular movies including Akkara Paha, Ahas Gawwa, Puja, Bambaru Awith, Yasa Isuru, Dolosmahe Pahana, Ahas Maliga and Diya Yata Gindara.
He won the Critics’ Award for his performance in Ahas Gawwa in 1974, and the Presidential Award and Sarasaviya Award in 1986 for his performance as the Best Supporting Actor in Puja.
Amarasiri Kalansuriya is survived by his wife Ajantha Ekanayake and son and two daughters.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023
- Results of 2022 (2023) G.C.E. O/L exam released December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from November 30, 2023 November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka inflation rises for second month on high energy costs November 30, 2023