ANCL chairman sues Lanka e-News for defamation
Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd., chairman and senior journalist Bandula Padmakumara has sent letters of demand to Lanka-e-News at No. 11/1, Rajagiriya Road, Rajagiriya, its head and Editor-in-Chief D.P. Sandaruwan Senadheera and News Editor, Bennet Rupasinghe demanding Rs. 1,000 million within 14 days for damaging his reputation by publishing false and malicious news reports.
Attorney-at-Law for the plaintiff Bandula Padmakumara, Mrs. K.M. Kumudu Gunawardene stated in the letters of demand that the two news items published on June 24 and July 8 this year referring to her client who does a yeoman service to Sri Lanka’s media sector and newspaper journalism were totally false and malicious and as such letters of demand have been delivered demanding Rs. 500 million on each count. If the respondents fail to pay the compensation within 14 days as demanded, legal proceedings will be instituted to recover same, she said.
Padmakumara who had introduced a number of special features in the past few decades was the founder editor of Lakbima Irida.
He was a pioneer of the Free Media Movement and a founder member of the Sri Lanka Editors’ Guild and its Secretary for two years.
He has been presenting the popular TV program Mulpituwa and Loka Sithiyama during the past eight years.
Meanwhile, Attorney-at-Law Chandana Liyanapatabendi on behalf of ANCL has filed a defamation case against Lanka-e-News demanding Rs. 100 million as compensation for alleged defamation.
Attorney-at-Law Indra Ladduwahetty appeared for the respondent Lanka-e-News.
The case will be taken up again on December 12.
Courtesy: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023