Appeal Court dismisses petition against Diana Gamage
The petition filed seeking an order to disqualify State Minister Diana Gamage from serving as a Member of Parliament, was dismissed by the Court of Appeal, subject to a fee.
Social activist Oshala Herath had filed the petition seeking a writ order disqualifying the state minister from holding a parliamentary seat, since she also holds British citizenship.
President of the Court of Appeal Justice Nissanka Bandula Karunaratne told the open court that the petition is being revoked in agreement with the majority of the three-judge bench.
The verdict was originally scheduled to be delivered on October 18, however, it was deferred until today (October 31).
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka issues its first digitized national birth certificate December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Defence Ministry refutes reports of ‘lavish spending’ for entertaining military heads December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka moving towards social revolution – Anura December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs US $ 1.4 trillion additional investment to realise SDGs by 2030: IPS study December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister appoints new National Sports Council December 4, 2023