Auspicious Times of Sinhala and Tamil New Year
The dawn of the Sinhala and Tamil New Year will be celebrated in Sri Lanka today (April 14).
The New Year which is known as ‘Aluth Avurudha’ in Sinhala, and ‘Puththandu’ in Tamil is celebrated by both communities through various rituals and customs.
According to traditional astrological belief, the sun completes its movement across the twelve segments of the Zodiac in the course of a year taking one month to travel each constellation.
The transition of the Sun from the house of Pisces to the House of Aries marks the beginning of New Year (Aluth Avurudu).
A number of customs and traditional beliefs are associated with the New Year celebrations in the country. The Sinhalese are influenced by astrological faiths and perform several religious practices during this time.
Auspicious Times for New Year:
The New Moon
The new moon can be seen on the 07th of April (Sunday) and the 09th of May (Thursday).
Bathing for Old Year
Bathing for the old year falls on the 13th of April (Saturday)
Dawn of the New Year
New Year will dawn at 2.09 p.m. on the 14th of April (Sunday)
Punya Kaalaya (Inauspicious Time)
Punya Kalaya or inauspicious time begins at 7.45 a.m on the 14th of April (Sunday) and ends at 8.33 p.m. on the 14th of April (Sunday)
Preparing of Meals
Preparing meals for the New Year should begin at 2.42 p.m. on the 14th of April (Sunday). Lighting the hearth clad in red & yellow mixed (bronze colour) clothes and facing East.
Prepare milk rice mixed with jaggery as well as Aggala and Kavum
Commencing Work, Transactions and Partaking Meals
April 14 (Sunday) at 3.54 p.m. clad in red & yellow mixed (bronze colour) clothes and facing the direction of East
April 17 (Wednesday) at 7.40 a.m. clad in green and facing the direction of East
Leaving for Work
April 18 (Thursday) at 4.52 a.m. clad in green coloured clothes and facing East
(Source: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023