Bail application filed for Gnanasara Thero rejected
Bail application filed at the Homagama Magistrate’s Court for the General Secretary of the Bodu Bala Sena (BBS) organisation, Ven. Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thero, who was arrested and remanded for contempt of court has been rejected.
Attorney-at-law Sumudu Hewage had filed the bail application on behalf of the Bodu Bala Sena organization, Ada Derana reporter said.
The prisons spokesman said that the Buddhist monk was admitted to the hospital based on a request by the latter regarding his blood pressure.
Gnanasara Thero was remanded in custody until February 9 for threatening people, public officials and misbehaving in an open court.
He surrendered to the Homagama police on Tuesday (26) after an arrest warrant was issued against him by the court.
The monk had allegedly threatened the wife of missing journalist Pradeep Eknaligoda during the court proceedings on Monday (25) and had made an inflammatory address to the magistrate also.
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023