Bail application filed for Gnanasara Thero rejected
Bail application filed at the Homagama Magistrate’s Court for the General Secretary of the Bodu Bala Sena (BBS) organisation, Ven. Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thero, who was arrested and remanded for contempt of court has been rejected.
Attorney-at-law Sumudu Hewage had filed the bail application on behalf of the Bodu Bala Sena organization, Ada Derana reporter said.
The prisons spokesman said that the Buddhist monk was admitted to the hospital based on a request by the latter regarding his blood pressure.
Gnanasara Thero was remanded in custody until February 9 for threatening people, public officials and misbehaving in an open court.
He surrendered to the Homagama police on Tuesday (26) after an arrest warrant was issued against him by the court.
The monk had allegedly threatened the wife of missing journalist Pradeep Eknaligoda during the court proceedings on Monday (25) and had made an inflammatory address to the magistrate also.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Nightlife will play a vital role in Sri Lanka’s economic growth and tourist experience February 23, 2024
- Moon landing today: US clinches first touchdown in 50 years February 23, 2024
- Johnston Fernando requests immediate probe into Sanath Nishantha’s death February 22, 2024
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024