Levy on kilo of imported Mackerel increased to Rs.100
The Cabinet of Minister has approved a proposal to increase the Special Commodity Levy (SCL) imposed on import of Mackerel Fish for production of canned fish by Rs 50 to Rs 100 per kilogram.
The trade levy which was increased to Rs.100 a kilo in 2013 was reduced to Rs.50 last year.
However, the expected relief had not reached the consumers while the import of canned fish had increased to 40,000metric tons last year at a cost Rs.10 billion in foreign exchange.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023