Ban on polythene from today
The blanket ban to restrict indiscriminate use of polythene bags at groceries and retail outlets will come into effect from today, January 1, 2016.
The directive is aimed at minimizing the effect on public health and protecting the environment. The legislation was brought in to combat the generous use of shopping bags and food wrappers in shopping malls and the home environment, resulting in its haphazard disposal polluting the environment.
The use of polythene bags with less than 20 microns will be prohibited from today. Violators will be fined up to Rs.10 000 or face imprisonment according to a Presidential directive.
The Gazette notification No. 1466/5 issued under section 23W of the National Environmental Act No. 47 of 1980 states that the use of polythene of less than 20 microns in thickness will be banned. Though the law was not enforced, the Regulation was brought into effect in January 2007, when the President was the Environment Minister.
(Government News Portal)
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023