Basil Rajapaksa takes oath as a Member of Parliament
Newly-appointed Minister of Finance Basil Rajapaksa took oath as a Member of the Parliament this morning (July 08).
He was sworn in before Speaker of the Parliament Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena.
The Elections Commission yesterday (July 07) gazetted Rajapaksa’s name for the SLPP MP seat left vacant with the resignation of former MP Jayantha Ketagoda.
Basil Rajapaksa was also sworn in as a Cabinet Minister of Finance before President Gotabaya Rajapaksa earlier this morning.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023
- Tamil Nadu government failed to understand the problem in Sri Lanka: Murali November 27, 2023
- Harin appointed Sports Minister, Pavithra appointed Irrigation Minister November 27, 2023