Buddhists sects oppose for new constitution – MR
All sects of Buddhism including the Asgiriya and the Malwathu chapters were objecting to introduce a new constitution to Sri Lanka, Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa said yesterday.
He expressed these views when he visited to pay last homage to Mahanayaka of Ramannaa chapter Ven. Nagoda Amarawansa Thero.
“Even when the clergy had announced that there is no need of a new constitution, the government pays no attention on them and continues with the way they wanted and added a journey without the blessing of Mahanayaka theros would have no success,” he said.
He further said the Archbishop of Colombo had also cautioned the government when introducing a new constitution.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Sheain Fernandopulle)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- United Petroleum enters Sri Lanka’s fuel market, secures supply contract February 26, 2024
- Sri Lankan opposition parties sign no-confidence motion against speaker February 26, 2024
- Public Health Inspector (PHI) shot dead in Elpitiya February 26, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s justice minister assures presidential election scheduled for 2024 February 26, 2024
- Wanindu Hasaranga suspended for two matches, fined February 25, 2024