Budget, only a set of empty proposals – Sajith
The Budget 2022 presented by the government is an attempt to deceive the people, Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa said yesterday (12).
Premadasa pointed out that the people expected a progressive budget, however it only carries empty promises.
Premadasa noted, “The people wanted a pro-people budget but they only got some nonsense. There is no structure in this budget. There is no plan to reduce the budget deficit. There is no programme to address the cost of living inflation. There is no programme to build people’s lives. There is no system to uplift the farmer. This is but a Somalian style budget. This is a budget that deceived the people.”
Premadasa furthered, “This Budget is like a blank slate with no short-term, medium-term or long-term plans to improve the economic condition of the people.
Not only that, this is a budget without any salary increments for public servants and private sector employees. In short, it is a document that has forgotten people and focused only on fulfilling the need of government’s henchmen’s needs.”
(Source: Daily News – By Sandasen Marasinghe, Camelia Nathaniel and Amali Mallawaarachchi)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023