Businessman involved in clearing Anawilundawa Wetland Sanctuary arrested
The businessman who was involved in clearing the Anawilundawa Wetland Sanctuary in Mundalama, Puttalam was taken into custody, police said.
The 35-year-old arrestee is to be produced before the Chilaw Magistrate’s Court.
Police said the businessman had advised the driver of the backhoe, who was arrested yesterday (28), to clear the land and set up prawn farms.
The backhoe loader used by the suspect was also taken into custody by the police.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023