Cabinet approves 20A with 237 parliamentary seats
Sri Lanka’s Cabinet of Ministers today approved a proposal to increase the number of seats in Parliament to 237, through the 20th amendment to the constitution.
The 237 seats include 145MPs from First-Past-the Post (FPP) system, 55 from Proportional Representation (PR) system and the remaining 25 members from the National List.
The cabinet had earlier granted approval to a proposal put forward by the Prime Minister to elect 125 MPs from First-Past-the Post (FPP) system, 75 from Proportional Representation (PR) system and the remaining 25 members from the National List.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- World’s leading tech companies deeply criticize Sri Lanka’s Online Safety Bill October 2, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government says No more emergency purchases of medicines October 2, 2023
- IMF unveils 16-point plan to address governance challenges in Sri Lanka October 2, 2023
- Corrupt elements use Parliament, Finance Ministry to evade taxes October 2, 2023
- CEYPETCO and Lanka IOC increases fuel prices October 1, 2023