Cardinal asks government to resign
Leaders of the country were acting according to the whims and fancies of external forces and the government should immediately resign and allow those who were capable of governing the county to take over, Archbishop of Colombo Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith told devotees at St. Sebastian’s Church, Katuwapitiya, which was reconsecrated yesterday.
The Cardinal said that Muslims in the country were not responsible for the Easter Sunday attacks and that it was carried out by a group of misguided youth to fulfil the desires of foreign nations that wanted to destabilise the country.
The Cardinal said: “This government has dismantled the intelligence agencies that were once very strong. This was done to fulfil the needs of international organizations and NGOs. When the security forces detected a training camp used by extremists at Wanathawilluwa, the extremists who were arrested were freed.”
The prelate said that the authorities had also ignored the destruction of Buddha statues at Mawanella and the extremists had shot the person who helped the police apprehend the perpetrators.
“The leadership of the country also ignored numerous clues on the preparations of the extremists,” said the Cardinal.
(Source: The Island)
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s key inflation rate eases to 25.2% in May June 1, 2023
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023
- Bruno Divakara arrested May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
I ask WHY?
Why should the Govt resign?
What has the all-powerful Vatican done to promote World Peace through conversations with other religious entities?
This is not about Vatican or World peace. This is about Sri Lanka where we live and die. Hon Cardinal is right. Government should resign because with all the intelligence reports they had and Power they couldn’t protect their own citizens! Even after this Easter massacre how many they arrested? How many they punished? Government is having committees and performing muffert shows. Before world peace, peace in your own country is vital. I salute you Cardinal.
Yeah, Yeah Amarakoon,
What has the Catolic Church in Sri Lankaka done to promote the welfare of the nation?
They are a closed group, not interracting with other communities.
The Church has many weaknesses similar to those worldwide including the Australian Cardinal who was imprisoned.
Our SL Cardinal has no right to comment on political leadership; he should be addressing the weaknesses of his church including allegations of juvenile sodomy.
Dear Mr. Chandana Perera,
1. St. Thomas a, St, Peters, St. Josephs, St. Bridget’s, Holy family, and many more catholic schools produced law abiding citizens in mother Lanka. Isn’t that sufficient?
2. Have you known any cases such as accusations levelled and provided for such as the Auz Cardinal in SL? If you have spell it out.
3. Of course our SL cardinal has all the rights to comment on the current political leadership because the victims were people belong to his congregate, his church he is representing.
Hope you can digest my answers!