CBSL should not be politicised – Sajith
Leader of the Opposition, Sajith Premadasa said the Central Bank of Sri Lanka (CBSL) should not be politicised at any cost. The Opposition Leader expressed these views, issuing a statement regarding the appointment of ex-State Minister of Finance Ajith Nivard Cabraal as the new Governor of CBSL.
Cabraal, who was an SLPP MP, should not have been appointed as the Governor of CBSL, he said. Premadasa pointed out that the main function of the Central Bank is to implement monetary policy, to act as a pioneer in the banking system and to play a lead role in the overall financial process. Therefore, it is imperative to keep the Central Bank out of political influence in making policy decisions on fiscal reserves, the Leader of the Opposition said.
(Source: Ceylon Today – By Nirmani Guneratne)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023