Chandrika Bandaranaike requests pardon for Ranjan Ramanayake
Former President Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga has directed a letter to President Gotabaya Rajapaksa requesting Presidential Pardon to be issued to former Parliamentarian Ranjan Ramanayake who is imprisoned on charges of contempt of Court.
The letter states former MP Ramanayake who is a famous actor and philanthropist was beloved by many and also used his personal wealth for the benefit of the people.
The Former President said it is unfair that Ramanayake spends his time in a cell, for a non-lethal violation of the law while many other felons convicted of murder and other crimes are pardoned and roam free in society.
Meanwhile, Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa says he hopes MP Ramanayake will be pardoned in line with Prisoner’s Day to be commemorated tomorrow.
Taking to Twitter MP Premadasa said he hopes the President would consider their appeal.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023