Chief suspect in Peliyagoda UC Member killing arrested
The chief suspect in the Peliyagoda Urban Council member’s murder has been arrested from Katunayaka, Police said. Police have recovered a motorbike, full face helmet, two mobile phones and attire similar to military fatigues believed to have been used during the murder plot.
The suspect has been detained for further questioning.
Member of the Peliyagoda Urban Council, J. Chamila Sandaruwan was found shot dead inside his car at Tyre Corporation Junction in Dalugama, Kelaniya on May 12.
The UPFA member was reportedly shot several times by an unknown gunman while he was driving the vehicle which had later crashed into a wall in the roadside following the shooting.
The deceased, a 23-year-old resident of Peliyagoda, was elected to the Urban Council from the United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) in 2011.
He had appeared before the Mahara magistrate’s court the day of the murder over a case and was returning home alone after dropping off his parents when the shooting had taken place.
- Sri Lanka signs agreement with RM Parks Inc to ensure uninterrupted fuel supply June 8, 2023
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023