China to offer another loan to settle existing loans
China has said it does not prefer debt restructuring, but is ready to offer another loan to settle existing loans, says Cabinet Spokesperson & Minister Nalaka Godahewa today (April 26).
Addressing the weekly Cabinet Media Briefing said given the present crisis in Sri Lanka, the country needs around US $ 4 Billion to overcome the crisis.
“China’s position is that since it has offered loans to many countries, permitting debt restructuring for one country, it would affect the others. Therefore, they have proposed another loan to settle the existing loans. This is in the preliminary stage, and the Finance Minister will make deliberations to parliament in due course,” he said.
(Courtesy: News First)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023
- Sanath Nishantha to pay electric bills of SLPP low-income families October 4, 2023
- Chairman of CEYPETCO and CPSTL Uvais Mohamed resigns October 4, 2023