CID to question Gota after last Friday’s grilling of Fonseka
CID would soon interrogate former Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa on the murder of former Sunday Leader editor Lasantha Wickrematunga, Police headquarters sources said yesterday.
The former defence secretary would be questioned on the matters transpired during the interrogation of former Army Commander and Regional Development Minister Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka, who had been questioned by the CID last Friday for more than six hours, the sources said.
On the issues that surfaced from the information elicited from the field marshal, the former defence secretary Rajapaksa and several other top officials of their Joint Operational Headquarters are to be questioned.
The CID has information that Wickrematunga had been assassinated by a group of members of the Army intelligence unit. At the time of Wickrematunga’s death Fonseka commanded the Army and Rajapaksa was the defence secretary. A senior official of the army intelligence unit is being detained and questioned in connection with the murder probe.
A retired sergeant of the army intelligence unit committed suicide last year by hanging himself after writing a letter accepting the responsibility for the killing of Wickrematunga.
(Source: The Island – By Hemantha Randunu)
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s key inflation rate eases to 25.2% in May June 1, 2023
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023
The questioning of the former Army Commander and the former Secretary, Ministry of Defence should have occurred on 9th Jan 2015 or at least in the week that followed when the Yahapala Aanduwa was installed through the rainbow revolution.
Much water has flown under the bridge since that time and the water would have eroded the bedrock of evidence.
Impunity ! That’s the right word.