Continue engaging with Sri Lanka’s official bilateral, private sector creditors – World Bank Chief tells Ranil
World Bank Chief David Malpass during a meeting with President Ranil Wickremesinghe, encouraged the President to continue engaging with Sri Lanka’s official bilateral and private sector creditors to promptly agree on debt restructuring.
Issuing a statement following the meeting, the World Bank stated; President Malpass and President Wickremesinghe discussed the challenging macroeconomic and social situation in Sri Lanka and the urgent need to stabilise the economy.
President Malpass emphasised the importance of timely and effective resolution of the ongoing debt crisis and encouraged President Wickremesinghe to continue engaging with Sri Lanka’s official bilateral and private sector creditors to promptly agree on debt restructuring. President Malpass and President Wickremesinghe discussed ways to improve efficiency of public expenditures and necessary reforms to the state-owned enterprises, particularly given the large size of the public sector in Sri Lanka.
President Malpass affirmed the World Bank Group’s (WBG) support to Sri Lankan people in rebuilding their economy and creating a foundation for sustainable private sector led growth through IDA concessional financing, technical assistance, and policy advice.
President Malpass and President Wickremesinghe discussed opportunities for improving agriculture production and value chains, including through effective programs supporting fertiliser use, as well as Sri Lanka’s large potential in the service sector, including tourism and education.
President Malpass and President Wickremesinghe also spoke about climate change and the financing needs of developing countries to pursue impactful adaptation and mitigation investment.
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
This grand papa is becoming a laughing stock of the world. Every one is giving false hope and teasing him.