Court grants bail for 10 UPFA MPs
Colombo Chief Magistrate today granted personal bail of Rs. 1 million each for 27 including 10 UPFA MPs for contempt of court charges. The 27 are charged with participating in a protest in front of the Bribery Commission on April 23 despite a court order preventing such protests.
The Colombo Magistrate’s Court on April 24 issued notice on 27 persons including 10 UPFA Parliamentarians to appear before the court on May 8 on contempt of court charges, after they violated a court order and staged a protest opposite the bribery commission.
Colombo Chief Magistrate Gihan Pilipitiya issued notice on the individuals after considering a report presented to the court by the Cinnamon Gardens Police.
A protest was organized in front of the Bribery Commission on April 23 condemning the decision to summon former Defence Secretary for questioning despite a court order issued the previous prohibiting such a gathering at the location.
The ten UPFA MPs issued notice include Dullas Alahapperuma, Bandula Gunawardena, Janaka Priyantha Bandara, Roshan Ranasinghe, Sarath Weerasekara, Udith Lokubandara, Jayantha Ketagoda, Weerakumara Dissanayake, Gamini Lokuge and SM Chandrasena.
Western Province Chief Minister Prasanna Ranatunga, Western Province Councilors Udaya Gammanpila and Roger Seneviratne have also been issued notice.
Meanwhile several Buddhist monks have also been issued notice to appear before the court.
They include former Coordinating Secretary to the President on Religious Affairs Ven. Watinapaha Somananda Thero, Chairman of Public Service United Nurses’ Union Muruttettuwe Ananda Thero, chief prelate of the Sunethra Devi temple in Pepiliyana Ven. Medagoda Abayathissa Thero, Convener of the Ravana Balaya Ittekande Sadda Tissa Thero and General Secretary of Bodu Bala Sena (BBS) organisation Ven. Galaboda Atte Gnanasara Thero.
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023