Court lifts travel ban on Gotabaya Rajapaksa
The Galle Magistrate on Thursday (27) lifted the foreign travel ban imposed on former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa over allegations he used a commercial floating armoury.
Police this year seized more than 3,000 weapons in 20 containers from the armoury, run by private security firm Avant Garde Maritime Services (Pvt) Ltd and docked in port of Galle.
The Galle magistrate earlier imposed a travel ban on three people: former secretary of defence Gotabaya Rajapaksa; former navy commander and adviser of Avant Garde, Satilaka Dissanayake; and another director of Avant Garde.
The armoury was a commercial venture that stored weapons for maritime security guards stationed on ships that pass near Sri Lanka, located on one of the world’s busiest sea routes.
The loosely regulated practice of arming merchant ships has flourished in recent years in response to the threat of piracy.
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
Well, then the court is satisfied there is no likelihood of Gotha disappearing OR a case grave enough to make him run away OR a case serious enough that needs his presence continuously.
I think most of those cases will have the same fate, if they are taken before normal courts that function everyday, instead of Presidential commissions where henchmen being appointed to tun and judge (regardless whether they have LLB, LLM or bigger)
What makes Ranil sure, that he he is going to travel abroad. Let him stay like any other citizen, dont fear him.
I think Ranil and MY3 are so afraid of the Rajapakse’s that they keep feeding the Sri Lankan public with garbage to satisfy their hunger for gossip and fairy tales, This was the only way they could have won both elections and they have unfortunately hoodwinked the people of Sri Lanka big time and come in to power..
The Rajapaksas are the biggest rogues that Sri Lanka has ever produced. we’ve never had people stealing so much like these scoundrels ever before.