Court of Appeal orders Immigration & Emigration Department to submit documents on Diana Gamage’s citizenship
The Court of Appeal has decided to inquire into the writ application filed by the social activist Oshala Herath seeking to invalidate State Minister Diana Gamage’s position as a Member of Parliament.
The case was called up in the presence of Justices Sobitha Rajakaruna and Dhammika Ganepola.
State Minister Diana Gamage, the Public Security Minister Tiran Alles, the Controller General of Immigration and Emigration, and the Chairman of the National Election Commission among 15 others were named as respondents in the case.
Accordingly, the Court of Appeals also issued notice on Diana Gamage and other respondents of the case to appear before the courts on December 12, 2022.
Further, the court has ordered the Controller of Immigration and Emigration to submit all documents related to the citizenship of Diana Gamage to the court.
The case was then ordered to be recalled on December 12, 2022.
The state minister’s foreign travels were initially barred by the Colombo Chief Magistrate Nandana Amarasinghe on November 11 over a complaint challenging the veracity of her identity documents including the birth certificate, the National Identity Card (NIC) and the passport.
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023