Cricket: Sri Lanka sacks ODI skipper Perera
Sri Lanka on Thursday ousted Thisara Perera as one-day captain and said it would announce a replacement next week.
Perera took on the job in late November, succeeding Upul Tharanga, who was sacked after a series of losses.
Sri Lanka Cricket said it would name a successor after consulting new coach Chandika Hathurusingha, who has pledged to get tough with the under-performing national team.
“During the discussion, the chairman of selectors informed me that they are considering appointing either Angelo Mathews or Dinesh Chandimal to fill the role,” the SLC quoted its President Thilanga Sumathipala as saying.
Sri Lanka, who tour Bangladesh later this month, are under pressure after a series of defeats, most recently to India.
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
Good move. I can’t figure-out why he was appointed at all. Definitely Mathews should not be considered due to following reasons: 1. He had his chance and failed miserably. 2. He is not a good captain and a leader. 3. He is not an all rounder anymore. He can’t bowl long spells. 4. He is selfish and scores only to keep his place in the team. 5. He is injury prone.