Damage to historical building: Interim report calls for legal action
Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa yesterday received the interim-report of the committee appointed to probe the demolition of a building with a greater archaeological value in Kurunegala.
Informed officials told The Island that the report consisted of five salient proposals. The report strongly calls for the immediate conservation of the site.
It has recommended that the building with archaeological value be taken over by the Department of Archaeology.
The committee has also asked the Road Development Authority to amend its proposed expansion plan near the site. It has also called for legal action to be instituted against all those responsible for the demolition of the building.
The cost of the conservation of the site should be charged from the individuals and institutions responsible for the damage, the committe has said
Premier Rajapaksa, last Friday, appointed a committee to investigate the partial demolition of a building with an archaeological value in Kurunegala.
The building was torn down on July 14.
The committee is headed by Archaeological Department Director General Professor Senarath Dissanayake.
Other committee members are R. M. J. Ratnayake the District Secretary of Kurunegala, Archaeologist T. G. Kulatunga, Deputy Director of Archaeology at the Ministry of Cultural Affairs Archaeologist Prasad Ranasinghe and Director of the Central Cultural Fund Architect Sumedha’ Matota.
(Source: The Island – By Ifham Nizam)
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
Not a good report;
Get another report from the Military chaired by Defense Secretary.
Include former Prez, Sirisena as well.
Ha ha, Gamini,
You are correct.
Sirisena of 21,000 signatures in 7 days fame, big player in politics.
He said he will strike like an Eagle when the time comes.
He also wanted the use the sword to chop the UNPers who voted him into power.
Sirisena who hid in the rubber plantations in the night of 08 Jan 2015, is an example of a perfect cardboard veeraya !!!!!