Dead body found in a travelling bag: Main suspect found dead
The identity of the headless female body discovered inside a large travelling bag left unattended at Gas Works Junction in Dam Street, Colombo on Monday (March 01) has been identified, Sri Lanka Police confirmed today (03).
“Based on investigations conducted by Dam Street Police, the victim was identified as a 30-year-old resident from Theppanwa of the Kuruvita Police area,” Police Spokesperson DIG Ajith Rohana said.
However, given that the corpse is missing the head, the identity needs to be re-confirmed with DNA tests, the Police Spokesperson pointed out.
The perpetrator of this brutal murder has been identified as a 52-year-old Sub-Inspector who was attached to Buttala Police and who was on leave at the time of the incident, DIG Ajith Rohana further noted.
Police Spokesman DIG Ajith Rohana said the special police teams who have deployed to arrest the suspect have found the body of the Sub-Inspector (52) hanging on a tree in a forest area in the 5th milepost area in Badalkumbura, where his house is located.
Investigators suspect the police SI in question might have committed suicide over the murder.
The suspect’s love affair with the deceased is said to be the motive behind the brutal killing.
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023