Deported Lankans being questioned by CID, 50 deportees arrive
The group of Sri Lankans who were deported from UK are being questioned by the CID at the Bandaranaike International Airport. However despite British media reports the CID claimed that 50 deported Lankans had arrived at the BIA.
The UK newspaper ‘The Guardian’ earlier stated that after several hours of protracted legal wrangles, which saw several Tamils taken off the aircraft and returned to detention centres, the flight left from Stansted airport in Essex at around 8pm, five hours later than planned.
When contacted by Ada Derana Police media spokesman Maxi Proctor confirmed that 42 men and 8 women arrived in Sri Lanka today morning after being deported from the UK.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy promotes 1,877 personnel on its 73rd anniversary December 9, 2023