Doctor shot dead, tense situation in Karandeniya
A tense situation prevailed in Karandeniya between the police and residents following the death of a 40 year old doctor who was shot dead yesterday by two men who came in a motorbike.
The tense situation erupted as the police got late to arrive at the scene following the shooting. Several police teams were deployed into the Thalgahahandiya area to control the angry crowds.
The victim was attached to the Borakanda Government Hospital and was shot when he was practising in his private medical centre. Residents of the area said that the doctor was renowned and respected by the residents for his remarkable service as most of the time he had not charged from his patients.
He had died on the spot, the police said. The post-mortem was conducted at the Karapitiya General Hospital. No suspects have been arrested so far.
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023
- Trains delayed on coastal line due to derailment near Kollupitiya September 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s revenue shortfall concerns IMF team – sources September 27, 2023
- Airman killed, another injured in explosion at Kandakuliya Air Force Training Camp September 26, 2023