Drunk drivers could lose license for a year or more – Motor Traffic Dept.
Posted in Local News
The Motor Traffic Commisioner General S. H. Harishchandra stated that the points system will be implemented from January in order to create disciplined drivers.
Therefore, those arrested while driving under the influence will be given 24 points and will have their license suspended for a year. The driver will also be presented at court and depending on the situation, might get a lifetime suspension of the license.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
THe points system is a good system especially for people who drive after cosuming too much alchohol but the question is do we have a proper system of judging how much alchohol the driver has consumed to have his drivers liscense suspended for a year. I hope we are not going to leave this to the traffic police officers to decide.It will be a shame if some one who has had one one or two drinks get his liscence suspended. Has the police dept set a limit a driver is allowed to cosume before he is deemed as unfit to drive.
I hope the police dept has all the ifs and buts sorted out before implementing this new system. We certainly need some desciplne on the streets and this might do it but we will need the police officers to do their job properly.