Endangering democracy through imposition of emergency – Sajith
The real objective of the government imposing an emergency is to form a dictatorial administration leading to the burial of democracy, Leader of Opposition Sajith Premadasa said yesterday.
Government should reverse the gazette notification under which emergency was imposed and should activate the Consumer Security Bill
Mr. Premadasa said in a special statement that the imposing emergency will suppress people’s rights.
“Emergency will not bring in COVID vaccines, and it will not contain the pandemic. It will not bring down the prices of essential goods either. therefore the real objective of imposing emergency is to form a dictatorial administration,” he said,
“Government should reverse the gazette notification under which emergency was imposed and should activate the Consumer Security Bill and punish those who are hiding stocks of consumer goods,” he added.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Yohan Perera)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023