Essential food item prices to be increased further?
The prices of essential food items are expected to go up during the upcoming festive season, the Essential Food Commodities Importers & Traders Association says.
They pointed out that in the face of the country’s foreign exchange crisis, there is an issue with regard to the way the prices of imported goods are determined.
The association said it is hopeful that an agreement on determining the prices of food items could be reached in the coming week.
Meanwhile, the prices of a loaf of bread, packet of rice and curry, a cup of plain tea, and bakery products have been increased with effect from today (March 12).
On Friday, the Bakery Owners’ Association announced a price hike of Rs. 30.00 for a loaf of bread. The move came shortly after the Serendib Flour Mills (Pvt.) Ltd. raised the price of wheat flour by Rs. 35.00 per kilogram.
It is also reported that the prices of other bakery products are expected to be increased by Rs. 20 or Rs. 30 in line with the wheat flour price hike.
(Source: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka moving towards social revolution – Anura December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs US $ 1.4 trillion additional investment to realise SDGs by 2030: IPS study December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister appoints new National Sports Council December 4, 2023
- ‘We quit our stressful public sector jobs to earn £150 a month in Sri Lanka’ December 4, 2023
- Suminda Sirisena passes away December 4, 2023