Famous Iranamadu Tank to be One Fresh Water Fishing Hub
Iranamadu reservoir in Kilinochchi, the largest inland lake in the Northern Province is set to be one of the fresh water fishing hubs soon with the distribution of 50 fishing canoes among resettled civilians in the area.
Under the ongoing ‘Uthuru Wasanthaya’ (Northern Spring) development programme, those fishing canoes were given away during a brief ceremony by both Hon. Namal Rajapaksa, Member of Parliament and Hon. Mahindananda Aluthgamage, Minister of Sports. As canoes were launched into the lake, Hindu priests invoked blessings on them.
Major General Nandana Udawatta, Commander, Security Forces Headquarters, Kilinochchi, Brigadier S.H.F.P Perera, Commander Task Force – 3, Ms Anjalika, Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) Chief Organizer for the Northern Province and a large gathering of civilians witnessed the event.
Those fifty canoes to be used for fishing in the famous Iranamadu tank enable a fair number of resettled civilians in the area to make a living and uplift their livelihood while raising their income levels.
Courtesy: Army Media
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023