Fernando can be Sri Lanka ‘spark’, says Jayawardene
Former captain Mahela Jayawardene says Avishka Fernando can be the “spark” to reignite Sri Lanka after the 21-year-old hit his maiden one-day international ton against the West Indies.
Fernando’s century on Monday helped secure Sri Lanka’s third win of the tournament but it was too little too late for the Asian side, who cannot qualify for the semi-finals.
“It has been a tough couple of years for Sri Lanka but we have learned our lessons,” Jayawardene wrote in a column for the International Cricket Council (ICC).
“It is important that we plan around a group of players who will be there for the next four years and I think Avishka has shown he has to be a big part of that.”
“He will take a lot of confidence from this and he has now proven to himself that he can go on and do it on the international stage,” added Jayawardene.
“I thought he might start the tournament but the selectors understandably went with experience. But as this tournament has progressed, it’s been clear we have needed a spark. And there it is.”
Fernando was only drafted into the side for Sri Lanka’s sixth match.
He impressed in making 49 in a shock win over England and was Sri Lanka’s joint top scorer with 30 in a disappointing nine-wicket thrashing by South Africa.
Fernando will have another chance to shine when Sri Lanka round off their World Cup campaign against India on Saturday.
- Sri Lanka-born woman in UK becomes youngest ever non-white Crown Court judge June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
why not Ajantha Mendis also
SPARKS!!! There are Sparks mate but the problem is those sparks do not catch fire. Fernando was allowed to bat only in the 6 match? Why? Angelo Matthews waited till this match to Bowl? Why? Why took a bunch of out of form old cricketers (Jeeva Menda, Matthews, Van de say) and expected them to hit form at the competition.