Five inmates from Negombo Prison who tested positive for COVID-19 and were being treated at the Gallella Treatment Centre in Polonnaruwa have escaped this morning, Police Spokesman DIG Ajith Rohana said.
He said the inmates have been remanded at the Negombo Prison and transferred to the treatment centre after they contracted COVID-19.
The escaped inmates are aged 26, 27, 31, 36, and 52 years and are drug addicts and a special operation has been launched in the Gallella and Polonnaruwa areas by the police and security forces to locate them., Police Spokesperson said.
The following inmates had escaped the treatment center and the public is requested to relay any information on them to the Polonnaruwa Police Investigations Headquarters – 0718 591 233 or 119.
- Damballage Buddhika Wimalaratne (31 years).
- Maddumaralalage Kavidu Madushan (27 years) – No 191/M, Suduwella Road, Wadiya East, Wennappuwa.
- Wijesuriya Arachchige Haritha Kelum Appuhamy. (26 years) – 2nd Cross Street, Parusha Road, Marawila.
- Imia Mudiyanselage Nimal Wasantha alias ‘Gataya’ (52 years) – Ambagaha Colonya, Angampitiya, Waikkala.
- P. K. Sumith Pushpakumara. (36 years) – No 1219/A, Jayamawatha Road, Boralessa.
UPDATE – 04:42 PM – One of the COVID-19 infected inmates who had escaped from the Gallella Treatment Center in Pollonnaruwa has been arrested in the Madampe area, Police Spokesman DIG Ajith Rohana said.