Fonseka’s Welikada cell gets facelift
Speculation is rife in political circles as to which prominent MP or State official of the previous regime will next be incarcerated.The speculation has been triggered by the fact that the infamous ‘S’ ward of the Welikada Prison in which former Army Commander Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka and late actor turned politician Vijaya Kumaratunga were detained is being hurriedly renovated.
The FCID and the PRECIFAC are currently investigating several cases of large-scale fraud and corruption allegedly committed by several MPs of the previous regime and investigations into 38 such cases have been concluded by the FCID.
Meanwhile, many civil society groups who were instrumental in the UNP-SLFP unity government grabbing power had also long clamoured for wrongdoers in the previous regime to be brought to justice.
Minister for Special Assignments Dr. Sarath Amunugama who addressed a media briefing yesterday said legal action will be taken against 33 politicians in the course of this month of which only a fortnight is left.
(Source: Ceylon Today – By Dilanka Gunathilaka)
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s official reserve assets increase by 26.2% in May June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka to process online applications for passports from June 15 June 7, 2023
- Sooriyawewa Pradeshiya Sabha secretary arrested for soliciting Rs.50,000 bribe June 7, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya and Bruno Divakara further remanded June 7, 2023
- MP Gajendrakumar Ponnambalam arrested in Colombo June 7, 2023
- Yohani de Silva gets ‘Golden Visa’ from Dubai June 7, 2023
‘The FCID and the PRECIFAC are currently investigating several cases of large-scale fraud and corruption allegedly committed by several MPs of the previous regime and investigations into 38 such cases have been concluded by the FCID.’ This is really good. What about politicians in the present regime? Any investigations against them?
Facelift may be to accomodate the Rajapaksa clan!