FORTY-THREE INJURED WHEN POLICE CLASH WITH WELIKADA INMATES
November 07, 2010: Forty-three individuals have been admitted to the Colombo National Hospital, subsequent to a clash between police officers and a group of inmates at the Welikada prison.
Speaking to Newsfirst, the Director of the Accident Ward of the Colombo National Hospital Dr Prasad Ariyawansa said that a number of police officers who were injured in the incident had been admitted to the hospital.
Meanwhile, Deputy Minister of Rehabilitation and Prison Reforms said that the incident occurred around 7am when a group of police officers had visited the Welikada prison to conduct a search operation.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s education ministry halts outdoor school activities due to heat February 28, 2024
- Santhan, released convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, dies due to illness February 28, 2024
- Suspect wanted over Mahabage shooting killed in clash with STF February 28, 2024
- Ronnie de Mel passes away February 27, 2024
- India to push rupee investments in Sri Lanka February 27, 2024