One Law for all
Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma
(Pix By: Chandana Perera)
President Mahinda Rajapaksa declared open the newly Constructed Tangalla Court Complex at a cost of Rs. 385 million this morning on 06 November. The new Judicial Complex comprises the High Court, District Court, Magistrate Courts, Legal Aid office and Labour Tribunal.
Speaking at the opening ceremony the President said that there is only one law for all from Devundarathuduwa (Dondra Point) to Peduruthuduwa (Point Pedro). The whole country and its people are governed by that law. He further said that it is his intention and duty to implement the law and justice which is equal to everyone in Sri Lanka that is indulging in newly found freedom and well regarded peace.
The new court complex will make life easier for the general public in the Southern region where people had to travel long distance for their legal matters. It will be very important in resolving naval and custom cases with the opening of the Mattala International Airport and Hambantota harbour in the future.
Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa, Minister Athauda Seneviratne, Acting Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake, Deputy Ministers Reginold Cooray, Mahinda Amaraweera, MP Namal Rajapaksa, secretary to the Ministry of Justice Suhada Gamlath, Judgers and Magistrates of the Southern Province, Members of the Tangalla Bar Association and distinguish guests were present at the opening ceremony.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023