Freedom for Fonseka in January?
Imprisoned former Army is to be freed early next year on a presidential pardon, ‘Lankadeepa’ reports.
The newspaper says he will most likely be released on January 01, under the powers vested in the president through the constitution.
Religious leaders, including the Mahanayake Theras of Malwatte and Asgiriya Chapters, have asked the president to release Mr. Fonseka.
Ven. Galaboda Gnanissara Thera and MP Tiran Alles have met president Mahinda Rajapaksa separately to discuss his freedom.
The ex-Army chief lost his parliamentary seat and sentenced to 30 months in prison by a military court which found him guilty in charges relating to military supplies by Hicorp company owned by his son-in-law Danuna Tilakaratne.
He was given a further three years in prison after courts found him guilty in the ‘white flag’ case.
Courtesy: Sri Lanka Mirror
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023