Gota didn’t need tight security: SF
Former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa did not deserve more protection, Minister Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka said yesterday.
Speaking to the media during a visit at Nandimitragama in Vavuniya, the Field Marshal said that the security detail of former Defence Secretary was higher than what was given to him.
“I have been given 17 Police personnel. But Gotabaya has enough protection. As far I know the former Defence Secretary has 25 security personnel from the Army, Special Forces and Commandos.
“I have seen during a demonstration that he had the protection of the STF. I am not aware of the fact that Police protection was given after the military protection was withdrawn. But, he is well protected,” Field Marshall Fonseka said.
He said he was cordoned off by 500 military personnel during the war.
“But it is not necessary now because of the situation in the country. Former Defence Secretary is a normal citizen. He is not holding any responsibility for the government or for the people. He is not legally entitled to Presidential and Prime Minister or even a Ministerial protection.
“As far as I know, no secretary was given a protection once he retired,” he said.
Field Marshal Fonseka said that there were so many people in this country who had death threats and the country’s money would not enough if all of them were given bulletproof vehicles.
“If he was scared for his life, he can leave the country because he has a US citizenship,” Fonseka said.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Romesh Madushanka)
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
kill me softly…….sarath fonseka is right in that gotabhya renegotiate his citizenship he had revoked. during premadasas time an assasin brigade operated under whose direction todate remains obscure. however with premadasa assasination killings stopped. to mobilise another brigade is no problem and before long it will happen