Government MPs take over Speaker’s seat
Parliament was set to convene at 1.30 pm this afternoon. However, proceedings of parliament are yet to officially begin. A large number of UPFA members of parliament have surrounded the Speaker’s chair. MP Arundika Fernando is currently seated in the Speaker’s chair.
Several parliamentarians representing the government are currently staging a protest within the Parliament chamber.
The MPs are protesting against UNP members Palitha Thewarapperuma and Ranjan Ramanayake bringing knives into the chamber yesterday.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023