Government mulling legislation for social media: Madduma Bandara
In the aftermath of communal clashes, the government is hoping to introduce fresh legislation to ensure a code of conduct for the operation of social media websites in line with international best practices, Law and Order Minister Ranjith Madduma Bandara said yesterday.
He told Daily Mirror that he spoke to Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe in this regard and that the Prime Minister had asked him check out how these networks operate in the countries such as Germany and Britain.
“This is a code of conduct for social media. We have to work out a piece of legislation for this purpose as in other countries,” the newly appointed minister said.
Soon after the communal riots in the Kandy district, the government blocked social media networks such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Viber and IMO in an effort to stem the spread of inflammatory messages.
The law enforcement authorities also arrested people responsible for carrying out hate campaigns.
The minister said the situation had been brought under control to a great extent and that no major incident had been reported yesterday.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Kelum Bandara)
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
first of all get all the corrupt culprits who swindled the country of its resources in jail they are the same corrupt culprits that are responsible for all this problems, remember Mr.Minister do not blame the knife for a murder but punish the user of the knife to commit the murder
This dumb-wit who has been appointed Minister has been in living in a shi*h***. He is, sorry to say, stupid.
Please Concerned, do not expect anything from this dumb-wit.
Hon M Bandara,
The best thing you could do for our country is to wipe your a*** and keep you mouth shut.