Government planning to arrest Opposition MPs -Ranjan
United National Party Parliamentarian Ranjan Ramanayake claims that he has information that the government is planning on arresting a number of opposition politicians in the near future.
MP Ramanayake who was arrested over the illegal possession of a firearm was released on bail, yesterday.
Speaking to media after the court hearing in Nugegoda, MP Ramanayake said he will express his views on political vengeance and injustices in future.
He noted the official firearm was given to him by the Ministry of Defence adding therefore, it was given to him by the government.
The Parliamentarian stated he renewed the license for the government-owned firearm for a period of two years, adding however, that he did not renew it for the past two years.
MP Ramanayke added it should be done by his security detail and that it was a mistake.
MP Ranjan Ramanayke stressed he is appalled by the actions of the government and the Police adding however that he is not surprised by the move.
He said first MP Champika Ranawaka and then MP Rajitha Senaratne were apprehended, adding that he has information that in future the government may target other opposition members like MP Hirunika Premachandra.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023
- Tamil Nadu government failed to understand the problem in Sri Lanka: Murali November 27, 2023